Glossary with Links
- American Council on Education. Some colleges and universities honor ACE recommendations for college credit. ACE recommends credit for NFA courses and many other certifications and classes. Here is a link to the National Guide, listing organizations that offer courses recommended for college credit by ACE.
- Thomas Edison State College, Charter Oak State College, and Excelsior College are the "big three" accredited schools with generous CBE policies and little-to-no residency requirement. Here is a link to a comparison of the three.
- Credit by Examination is an umbrella term that includes tests such as CLEP and DSST
- College Level Examination Program. These multiple choice, computer based exams (some with optional essay) are accepted for credit at over 2900 colleges and universities.
- Charter Oak State College is one of the Big 3 colleges and it has remarkably low enrollment fees. It also accepts GRE Subject Test scores for credit.
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support see DSST below.
- Dantes Subject Standardized Tests originally only for military but open to civilians now. Passing scores on these multiple choice exams are accepted at over 1900 colleges and universities.
- Excelsior College -- one of the Big 3.
- Ending Point College (the college that grants the highest degree the student is pursuing)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency offers free independent study courses in Emergency Management that are accepted for credit by some colleges.
- National Fire Academy offers free independent study courses that are recognized by ACE for college credit.
- Thomas Edison State University, one of the "big three" accredited universities with generous credit by exam policies and no residency requirement. (Charter Oaks and Excelsior are the others.)